East Screen West Screen #97 – Decent Descendants

Play
Play

Episode 97 of the East Screen West Screen podcast.  Talking films from Hong Kong to Hollywood and lots of stuff in between.

iTunes Page

Now in the tail end of the Chinese New Year holiday we looks at a few of the remaining holiday releases for the Year of the Dragon.  Up first is director Dante Lam’s latest action entry THE VIRAL FACTOR [逆戰].  Next we head to Hawaii for THE DESCENDANTS, and finally we pull ourselves up by our bootstraps to talk PUSS IN BOOTS.

Running Time (1:23:27)

THE VIRAL FACTOR [逆戰]THE DESCENDANTSPUSS IN BOOTS

NEWS:

• Hong Kong Cinema Spaces.
  • Bona(fide) Ratings

EAST SCREEN:

• THE VIRAL FACTOR [逆戰]

WEST SCREEN:

VIDEO PICK:

NEXT EPISODE (#98) -

You can email the show at eastscreen at gmail.com

8 comments for “East Screen West Screen #97 – Decent Descendants

1. tinlunlauNo Gravatar
    February 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm

i personally didn’t like ua times square. for such a huge mall, i was expecting a better-end theatre. but what it did offer was multiple theatre screens. my personal favorite hong kong theatre is @ plaza hollywood in diamond hill area. (i believe that was a golden harvest theatre) i would always drop by after work and plan out what to watch.

2. HongKongDaveNo Gravatar
    February 7, 2012 at 3:30 am

I think I’ve only been to UA Times Square once – for “Death Note” in 2006 (I don’t think I avoided it for any particular reason it just never seemed to be top of my list to see a film)

You can’t have “Rich White People’s Problems” as a film title I already took that for “Eat Pray Love”! :P

3. HongKongDaveNo Gravatar
    February 7, 2012 at 3:41 am

As a big Jeff Lau fan I can’t wait to see “East Meets West 2011″ – should get my blu ray from YA any day now! :)

4. tinlunlauNo Gravatar
    February 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’ve only gone to UA Times Square to watch Pang Ho-Cheong’s “Trivial Matters” and I wasn’t too impressed with the setup in that theatre. It wasn’t as bad as the one in Shatin where the number of seats was very limited and the screen was small as shit! I still have to say that Golden Harvest theatre in Plaza Hollywood remains as one of my favorite theatres in Hong Kong. It’s probably the closest thing to a typical Silvercity/Cineplex Odeon theatre in Toronto. And if you’ve never been to one of those, it’s HUGE!!!

“East Meets West 2011″ was mediocre at best. I still think Jeff Lau is rehashing his old crap, which is one fault that I’m truly frustrating with while watching his movies. One way or another, it all roots down on “A Chinese Odyssey”. “A Chinese Tall Story” is perhaps one of the other few Chinese Odyssey rehash I can find barely tolerable. (By the way, Paul, you can find “A Chinese Tall Story” on DVD with special features and commentary track fully subtitled in English by yours truly. I know the Nicholas Tse interview is missing English subs but that’s not my fault. I had it translated and sent to Joy Sales already before they went ahead and printed these out. I still have that text file somewhere…)

5. matt.sNo Gravatar
    February 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I enjoyed “East Meets West 2011″ myself. Maybe his quirkiness is recycled, but what isn’t these days? At least he offers up a bit more than just the latest excuse for Donnie to beat up the Japanese again. :)

• tinlunlauNo Gravatar
      February 9, 2012 at 2:04 am

But that’s the problem I have with Jeff Lau. He’s recycling old material in EVERY subsequent movie he’s worked on. And not in a good way either.

6. HongKongDaveNo Gravatar
    February 16, 2012 at 3:15 am

Got my “East Meets West 2011″ blu ray – I have watched it twice and LOVED it both times. My favourite HK film since “Gallants” :)

7. tinlunlauNo Gravatar
    February 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I’ve read in Hong Kong DVD forums about how they’ve lamented the lack of a bluray release of “Gallants” in Hong Kong and yet, the bluray is now out in Germany.